FLAC tracks / Mp3 320 kbps | Jazz, Afrobeat, Funk/Soul, Disco, World | 67:09 | 264 / 156 Mb
After being blown away by a few tunes - probably just as you will be after listening to this - Samy Ben Redjeb travelled to the infamous capital city of Somalia in November of 2016, making Analog Africa the first music label to set foot in Mogadishu.
On his arrival in Somalia Samy began rifling through piles of cassettes and listening to reel-to-reel tapes in the dusty archives of Radio Mogadishu, looking for music that "swam against the current".
The stars were aligned: an uncovered and unmarked pile of discarded recordings was discovered in a cluttered corner of the building. Colonel Abshir - the senior employee and protector of Radio Mogadishu's archives - clarified that the pile consisted mostly of music nobody had manage to identify, or music he described as being "mainly instrumental and strange music". At the words "strange music" Samy was hooked, the return flight to Tunisia was cancelled.
1. Dur-Dur Band - Daradaa Muxibo (Because of you Muxibo) (05:20)
2. Omar Shooli - Hab Isii (Hug Me) (05:36)
3. Mukhtar Ramadan Iidi - Check Up Your Head (05:51)
4. Bakaka Band - Geesiyada Halgamayow (Brave Fighters) (05:50)
5. Fadumo Qassim & Shareero Band - Waakaa Helaa (I like you) (06:22)
6. Iftin Band - Sirmaqabe (No Secrets) (06:29)
7. Mukhtar Ramadan Iidi - Baayo (Hey Woman) (05:36)
8. Shimaali & Killer - Hoobeya (Somali traditional chant) (05:12)
9. Dur-Dur Band - Shaleedayaa (By Myself) (03:44)
10. Dur-Dur Band - Ladaney (Woman's Name) (05:06)
11. Bakaka Band - Gobonimada Jira (Choose Freedom) (08:34)
12. Iftin Band - Ii Ooy Aniga (Cry For Me) (03:37)